What is a Blog? Meaning of Blog, Blogging & Blogger with Example8 min read
If you’re that person who is looking for a perfect answer to “What is a Blog?”, then your search ends here. Now, you don’t need to search more to know what exactly a blog is and how it helps you.
Today in this article, you’ll get to know about what exactly a blog, blogging, and blogger are? Types of the blog, Structure of a blog, why you should start a blog, do bloggers get paid, and much more.
So, read till the END to not miss any Value.
For your ease, here's what we'll be covering:
What is a Blog? Meaning of Blog, Blogging & Blogger with Example
Before discussing blog, blogging and blogger, let’s get to know where the blog originated. Who started the very first blog? Let’s discuss the History of Blogging first.
History of Blogging
But, the term “blog” wasn’t coined yet. It was coined in 1999 by Peter Merholz.
Before knowing the term Weblog or blog, people used to call their blogs “online journals” or “personal pages”.
In the initial years, people created their blogs with the help of code (1994 – 1999). But after that many tools and features were introduced to simplify this process of blogging. Even Blogger ( a free blogging platform owned by Google) was also introduced in 1999 to make this process simple.
This is how the beautiful world of blogging began.
Now, let’s get to know What is a Blog? Meaning of Blog, Blogging & Blogger with Example.
What is a Blog?
A blog is a shortened form of “weblog”. It is an online journal that provides information to people. In a blog, the latest blog posts appear first or at the top. It is a platform where writers/ bloggers share their views and information on a topic or multiple topics with people.
A blog is a two-way communication where the audience connects by posting comments in the blog post.
A blog should be updated frequently to provide the latest updates to the people.
Here’s an example of a Blog. What do blogs look like?
Did you know?
Today, there’re more than 600 Million blogs in the world.
Structure of a Blog
Now, let’s have a look at the Structure of a Blog.
Here, I’m going to show you the structure of a typical blog which contains,
- The header at the top of the blog has the menu and navigation bar.
- The footer at the bottom has the links to relevant pages like contact us, about us, etc.
- The main content in the middle has the latest & featured blog posts.
- The sidebar on the side of the blogs has the social profile with contact information.
For your better understanding, see the structure of the Blog below-mentioned infographic:
What is a Blog Used for? Or Why do you need to create one?
There are several benefits or reasons to start a blog. It helps you in many ways.
1. If you have a blog for your brand or a company, people will be able to see you. But if you don’t have one, it’s a high chance that you might get ignored or invisible by people.
2. Because blogs help you to appear or rank your website in the search engines like Google and Bing.
3. Also, a blog helps you to increase awareness of your brand. People get to know about your brand by reading your blogs when it appears in search engines.
4. In a survey, it’s found that a company having a blog generates more leads and conversions than a company who don’t run a blog.
So, having a blog is very beneficial.
Here’s a sump-up infographic image that helps you better understand, how a blog is beneficial.
Let’s have a look at this:
6 Types of Blog
Now, you get to know what is a Blog and what is a Blog used for. Let’s understand the common 6 Types of Blogs that exist.
- Personal Blogs – Personal blogs are those blogs in which people share their lifestyle, writings, and opinions. These blogs are all about the person.
- Niche Blogs – Niche blogs are those blogs that cover a specific topic or category. In niche blogs, a blogger can only share knowledge and information about a particular topic which is his expertise or passion. For instance, travel blogs and food blogs.
- Affiliate Blogs – Affiliate blogs are those blogs in which a blogger promotes third-party products to earn a certain amount of commission on every sale made through his affiliate link. This process of earning money is known as Affiliate Marketing.
- Business Blogs – Business blogs focus on showing their expertise and specialization in a certain area of skill through their blogs. The aim of these blogs is to build a targeted audience base to sell their products and services.
- News Blogs – News blogs are generally about the latest updates and news. In this, a blogger only shares what’s trending or happening. A blogger doesn’t share his/her personal opinion in a news Blog.
- Multimedia Blogs – In Multimedia blogs, people prefer to share more multimedia content like videos, images, and podcasts than written content.
These are 6 common types of blogs that exist. Now, let’s discuss how a blog is different from a website.
How is a Blog different from a Website?
Most people are confused between a blog and a website. Are they the same? If No, then what makes a blog different from a website?
Keep it simple! I’ll help you to understand how a blog is different from a website?
A blog is a section of a website that contains all the blog posts.
A website is a collection of static web pages.
1. A blog needs to be updated frequently while it’s not necessary to update a website frequently.
2. A website is a one-way communication while a blog is more likely a two-way communication. Because in a blog, anyone can engage with your blog post by posting comments.
See the image below for more clarification:
[wpdatatable id=2 table_view=regular]
Examples of some Successful Blogs
Here are some successful blogs which you can read and I also personally loved to read:
You can also read their blogs as they provide a lot of value in their blogs. So these are examples of some successful blogs.
What is Blogging?
Why blogging is so popular?
Blogging becomes very popular nowadays. As I said earlier, theirs are more than 600 million blogs in the world.
What what’s the reason behind it? Why is a quick rise in blogging?
- You can increase awareness of your brand as a blog is a mainstream source of information.
- You can keep your audience up-to-date.
- You can earn money through blogging.
- You can interact with your audience through the comments and likes you get on your blog posts.
Apart from these, there are many reasons that are why blogging becomes popular.
Who is Blogger?
A blogger is a person who writes blog posts on his/her blog. In other words, a blogger is a writer or author who writes articles or blog posts on his/her blog.
Are bloggers getting paid?
Yes, they are.
Bloggers invest their time and share value with you. And also getting paid for it.
Maybe the methods of earning through blogging are different as it depends on businesses and the niche of the blog. But, it definitely generates revenue.
There are several ways to earn through blogging.
You can find these ways here.
How can I start a Blog?
Want to start a blog? It’s very easy. You can start a blog on your own in a few clicks.
First, you need to select a niche of your blog and decide on a name for it which is also known as the domain name of your blog.
Then, you need to choose a hosting service provider for your blog. As a beginner, we recommend you to go with Hostinger.
Hostinger is one of the best hosting service providers which I also use and strongly recommend you to try. Here’s why you need to choose Hostinger:
- Free domain name for one year along with any hosting plan
- Best and affordable
- Easy set-up
- Fast loading website
- User-friendly dashboard
- 24/7 Customer Support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
You can give Hostinger a try and if you don’t like their services, you can get your full money back as they provide a 30-day money-back guarantee. So it’s completely risk-free.
Claim your BEST OFFER now